AE Concrete specializes in delivering standard and custom civil precast solutions: Electrical and Communication Vaults, Trenches, BoxCulverts, Street Light Bases, and a variety of custom precast solutions via our in house engineering team. We are a CPCI, CSA, CWB, and ISO 9001 certified precast plant, ensuring we can meet the requirements of your unique project requirements.
We have been a leading provider of civil structures for over 30 years. We value working with the marketplace to deliver and develop the products needed for the civil construction industry.
ABOUT THE JOB:
We believe that respect for people and continuous improvement will drive the success of ourselves and our business. The Design Engineer provides support to the entire operation, managing projects and applying engineering knowledge to the practical and efficient design of precast concrete products and associated components. This individual will be involved in other activities including: Design reviews, checking drawings, project meetings, scheduling, establishing objectives and leading and implementing process improvement initiatives. All employees must gain adequate knowledge of AE Concrete procedures, equipment and products to perform the job duties efficiently and with a quality conscious manner. Work is not supervised in detail, and the amount of supervision varies depending upon the assignment and proven knowledge.
This position will have a main focus providing support to the entire operation, managing projects and applying engineering knowledge to the practical and efficient design of precast concrete products and associated components. Work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations; as well as, the Company Health and Safety Responsibilities and Accountabilities and actively promote AE Concrete’s safety vision.
• Apply engineering knowledge and judgment to the design of complicated or involved precast concrete products and associated components. Incorporating the designs and customer requirements into production drawings ensuring manufacturing feasibility, efficiency & cost effectiveness while reviewing shop drawing for accuracy and completeness.
• Provide innovative design input and technical expertise to the sales department and customers using a high degree of product & precast manufacturing knowledge for preliminary designs and product development.
• Produce smart, practical designs in a neat, organized and timely fashion for review and as a clear permanent record.
• Communicate with customers, project engineers, production staff and when necessary visit locations to clearly communicate or resolve potential issues.
• Develop and maintain positive business relationships with customers, specifiers & industry partners by attending industry committees, meetings and seminars.
• Provide engineering support to Production for facility and equipment modifications, design & manufacturing “trouble shooting”.
• Review standard products to continually improve efficiency of design & manufacture.
• Adhere to the Safety & Quality Management System” and all the policies and procedures to ensure compliance to registered designations; COR, CWB, CSA, CPCI, CPCQA & ISO 9001.
• Must be familiar with all pertinent codes and keep abreast of changes in design practice and technical developments in design tools and aids.
• Any other reasonable duty or responsibility as required for the success of the operations.
making your ideas concrete
• BA Sc. Civil Engineering Degree with 2-6 years of design experience
• EGBC registration with P.Eng. or EIT status with ability for full professional status in 1-2 years
• Knowledge & experience in
o Precast concrete design
o Steel & welding design
o Drafting Software; AutoCAD, Vectorworks
o Computer skills: Excel, Word, Microsoft suite
▪ knowledge of structural design/analysis software an asset (FEA)
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Logical problem analysis, problem solving and dispute resolution skills
• Responds quickly with a sense of urgency
• Organized – proactive and strong planner
• Positive attitude
• Strong work ethic with willingness to work overtime when required
• Ability to create strong working relationships in both an independent and team environment
• Likes a challenge, and able to handle stress
• Committed to continuously improving one’s self, personally & professionally
Reports to: Engineering Manager
Peers: Engineering Department
Direct Reports: None
Physical Effort – Duties will be split between walking the plant floor and at a desk in an office environment, distribution is based on complexity of work. Requires frequent periods of sitting and working in front of a computer, bending, standing and walking and does require the ability to move light to moderate material or equipment.
Physical Environment – Frequent work both in the office and in the Plant. Normal outdoor work environment which could include exposure to adverse weather conditions, dust, noise etc. Some stress due to adherence to deadlines, which may require some overtime.
Sensory Environment – A great deal of attention, both seeing and hearing, is required always. Many unusual occurrences can happen several times over the course of a day. The risk of accidents occurring is present.
Attention must be given to accident potential in all areas of the facility.
Mental Stress – There is routine pressure from various sources to achieve results and deadlines while dealing with frequent interruptions.
Please send your resume to the email address below with your attached resume. If you are shortlisted for the position you will be contacted by AE Concrete Human Resources department. Thank you for your interest in joining our team.